Friday, February 18, 2011

Hope

Novel’s gone off on its first round of submissions. All the big guns. They were given a deadline to make up their minds – which is today. So today I dare not venture anywhere near my yahoo inbox. Then, after lunch, I came across some very appropriate lines from Byron’s journal on the subject of hope –

Why, at the very height of desire and human pleasure – worldly, social, amorous, ambitious, or even avaricious – does there mingle a certain sense of doubt and sorrow – a fear of what is to come – a doubt of what is – a retrospect to the past, leading to a prognostication of the future? Why is this? I know not, except that on a pinnacle we are most susceptible of giddiness, and that we never fear falling except from a precipice – the higher, the more awful…


13 comments:

  1. Oh hope, that queasy feeling in the pit of your stomach when you haven't yet been denied something you desperately want.

    I'm hoping some for you; I think that's probably a book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the money again there, Frankie. In fact that's one of the best definitions of hope I've come across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice :) Good thoughts, good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Meo. Puss & kram, as they say in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really deep, and really interesting. Your material makes people think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Step back from the precipice, look up at the stars, and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I know it wasn't by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, friend, just hope and leave it to the Infinite to unfold what's in store ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. from Virginia:
    If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged.

    ReplyDelete