Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Authonomy

My first impression upon stepping over the virtual threshold of Authonomy was of a halfway house for writers. Cheerful and hygienic it might appear but there's also a furtive sense of dispossession, even seediness; a feeling one has now slipped down a social pecking order. One's most treasured possession – one's ambition - is already looking a bit more ragged here, a bit more moth-eaten. One looks around a little warily at one's fellow inmates. One is immediately suspicious of so much overt friendliness, daunted by the ubiquitous flourishes of self-belief. These clearly are people who have tasted the acrimony of rejection on a regular basis. What the hell have they all got to be so cheerful about? Slowly though one settles in. One lowers one's expectations. One begins to enjoy and look forward to the meals on offer. One finds a chair to one's liking and is content to ignore the world outside for longer and longer periods. One realises one might never get out but there's always that one chance in a million that someone will recognise one's truly unique talent.... 

4 comments:

  1. One chance in a million, eh? A tad optimistic, I'd say. Apart from me and you, who else rates you? And, I'm not too sure about you, not really. Never mind, there's still this poor deluded fool who thinks you have the ability to string the odd sentence together, now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too long in the easy chair and you become the chair. It's good to stretch your legs from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately I haven't become that despondent yet. But perhaps that's because I haven't finished my book yet, so haven't gotten to the rejection stage. :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoy your ramblings. They are a bit pessimistic for such an optimist as myself, however, I find them to come from an honest place and that's all I could ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete